_________________________________________________________


Welcome to The Levi and Cooper Chronicles. I'm the 'Cooper' and my baby brother is the 'Levi.' We're not siblings in the literal sense of the word. He's a miniature schnauzer and I'm a miniature poodle but our differences go far beyond our breed. You see, I'm the famous angel dog who blogs from the Rainbow Bridge. Well, not famous down on earth but up here in doggie heaven all canines get to do whatever we like and I like blogging. We dogaroons up here can also gaze down through the magic water under the bridge and keep tabs on our humans. Isn't that cool! After I discovered the magic water, I decided that little Levi---who got adopted into the family shortly after my departure from earth---could use a guardian angel. When he blogs he types in pink and when I put my two cents worth in I type in blue.
_________________________________________________________
.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Typical Boy and his Bugs

Levi likes to play with bugs. It doesn't matter if they are crawling, flying or hopping. Most of the time Mom is pretty tolerate of his "hobby" but the day he found a spider that was the size of a June bug, Mom drew the line. She whacked it with the garden hose and was horrified to see dozens of baby spiders disembark from its mother's body, trying to escape the carnage of her impending death. Levi saw them, too, but Mom scooped him up, threw him in the garage and grabbed a can of Raid. Unfortunately, too many babies probably got away to grow up and become Levi's future toys. He really does cause Mom a lot of work. She was afraid Levi would lick the Raid on the deck so she ended up scrubbing it down. And all this was supposed to be a quick potty break for my brother.

Levi has a toad in the dog yard. Cute as a button and the size of quarter, Levi was nudging it with his nose the first afternoon Mom saw the little brown baby. She grabbed Levi by the collar while the toad hopped to safety. That night Miss. Toad was back again but that time she was too far from a safe haven and Mom had quite a time keeping a flashlight on the toad and holding Levi back while she wrangled Miss. Toad to a different corner of the dog yard where she could find a hiding place.

In the morning Mom moved the toad house that was in the front yard to the dog yard in hopes that the baby toad would move in. The toad house has a solar roof that at night is supposed to attract bugs for toads to eat. In theory, Mom is going to entice the baby to follow the toad house right out of the dog yard. She's planning to move it a couple of feet each day. Want to place a bet on whether or not it works before Levi eats the baby toad? This photo is of Levi checking out the house for the first time.

Every night Levi makes Mom take him in and out in and out. He's fascinated with the moths that hang around the deck light. If he could he'd crawl right up the siding on the house trying to catch them. She tried turning the light off and taking him to the dog yard using just a flashlight but bugs are attracted to the light coming out from the kitchen window so Levi jumps on the screens trying to catch them. That could get expensive.

Like I said, Levi is a typical boy when it comes to creepy, crawly things and I haven't even told you about the time he found a cricket in the garage. To make a long story short the chirping has stopped and Levi got his schnauzer beard decorated with garage yucky-do's in the process. ©


P.S. If anyone is a fan of the TV show, Greatest American Dog, you might like their fan website. They have a message board and you can watch back episodes if you miss any of them. It also has profiles of all the dogs and their owners, the judges and the host.

.

24 comments:

Lacy said...

w00f's levi and angel cooper, heehee me likes bugs too...mama tries to save them but sumtimes me iz to fast...

~rocky~

Latte said...

Hi Levi,

I wonder if it's a universal thing for dogs to like playing with bugs, hehe... I do it too, just a little - usually I just stare at the crawling bug for hours.

Molly the Airedale said...

Mitch loves to eat bugs and we both LOVE flies! Bugs are fun!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Abby said...

Hi, Cooper...

Levi sure keeps your Mom busy...

She has come up with quite a plan about the baby toad...I wonder if it's gonna work...

I love chasing bugs, too...My Mom laughs until I'm trying to catch a Bee or Wasp...I don't know what the difference is...But she says I don't want to...

Abby xxxooo

Jan said...

My girl dogs wouldn't touch a bug for anything, but Timmy the stud muffin loves them. Must be a guy thing.

the many Bs said...

oh my. we have to laugh at Levi's antics with the bugs and the toad and the cricket. he is really testing your mom with that mischief. that's a funny story about the cricket in the garage.

we have been watching Greatest American Dog. we like parts of it and we don't like other parts. mom says the judges are harsh, but the giant schnauzer was kind of an unruly dog. his owner was making us nervous too. eh! eh! eh! eh! eh! eh! eh! eh! enough already!

woofs.

Petra said...

Levi sounds a lot like me when it comes to loving bugs! Lightning bugs right now are my favorite because they flash on and off, and I love to jump and chase them, but moths are great, too. I haven't met a cricket yet, but they 'll be around before long, I'm told (hehehehe!)

Life is such fun for us pups.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Levi's mom here. After reading up about dogs eating toads, We don't need any more trips to the emergency dog hospital so I've decided I'd better catch the thing and move it FAR away. I'm not looking forward to that but we did see it again today. Levi's nose was practically touching it and it's only a matter of time before he tries to eat the baby toad. It was, by the way, hanging around the toad house when he found it. LOL

Jean

Anonymous said...

Oh my don't talk to me about bugs, especially flies lol. I have been told i can sit for a long time watching a fly and also chase after it. As for crawling bugs i tend to paw them lol.

Dewey Dewster said...

Cooper...
Glad ta hear yer Mom heard about the toad business....we don't eat bugs or try ta either but we have been surprisingly close ta toads..in fact I think once I mighta got one in my mouth 'cause I came back ta the cottage foamin' at the mouth...I also once came back full of porcupine quills (ouch that's one I hope not ta repeat)....so Gram 'n Pap try ta make sure we stay away from those cute little buggers...ya wouldn't think anythin' so cute could have a poison dagger fer doggies on it's back.....

Dewey Dewter here.....

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Finding the toad again was easy for Levi. He found within seconds of going into the dog yard...and it was after dark! I was able to get her in a paper cup, put a lid on it and get her moved to the front of the house where Levi is not allowed off the leash. I hope the toad doesn't have any brothers and sisters!

Georgeous said...

Oh yes, looks like Levi is mastering the art of obsessing (one of my favourite pastimes too). Good luck to your Mum, trying to break his concentration. Levi has the disadvantge of being able to be picked up though.
Love 'n' Snuffs
George

FleasGang said...

Three cheers to another bug hunter! Our Pop made us "official bug hunter" badges a few years ago that Mom proudly displayed in the yard at our old house. There's nothing like chasing critters around and barking like mad at them :-)

The FleasGang

i said...

Hehehe...I like bugs too, although LS doesn't. Seems like humans and us don't share the same preferences.

Congrats on your award!

Charlie Daniels said...

Mom threw Levi in the garbage? Was there food in there too! ;-)

Cheers

Charlie

Simba and Jazzi said...

Dropping by to say hello. Hope you had a great weekend.

Simba x

Two Schnauzers from New England said...

Hi, Cooper and Levi -

Levi, the bug thing must be some sort of schnauzer trait. I (Hershey) like to eat ants and even tried to eat a yellow jacket but I have never seen a toad. That could be a good thing.

I also like to get dirty stuff in my stash too.

Love -

Hershey

Hi, Cooper and Levi. Love, Kaci

Joe Stains said...

Tanner LOVES to eat bugs, he is like a little gecko!!

parlance said...

Lucky little toad to be taken to safety. The solar toad house sounds great. I felt a bit sorry for the little baby spiders, though - and their Mum. Have you ever seen the film 'Babe'? The spider was the hero.

Jake of Florida said...

We gaver you an award -- check out our latest blog. But we also found that this address keeps coming up as a fraudulent site -- and we don't know if you know it.

Jake and Just Harery

DESERT PUPS said...

Woof Levi

It sounds like you need Angel Cooper watching over you. And as far as the bug thing goes, that just what dogs do.
Desert Pups here just roaming the neighborhood and making new pals cause we're new in town

Woof, woof
Scuba, Keiko, Norman and Toby from Life Inside The Fence

Scottie the 'Cutie' said...

I love to chase bugs too,especially cockroaches! We get them a lot here in Malaysia...Mom says it's absolutely disgusting, and keeps me away from them, but I try to chase them whenever I get a chance!

Scottie

Molly the Airedale said...

Tell your mom that she doesn't have to be at Montgomery to win the quilt,Levi! The ticket is drawn and if you're the winning ticket, they call you and congratulate you and mail the quilt right to your house! Mom will be waiting for that call too! Thank you for supporting Airedale rescue!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Anonymous said...

Dogs sure do love bugs, don't they? Just the other day, there was a moth in my house that we couldn't catch -- until it ended up inside my dachshund's mouth! Eww!